Selling a house is a daunting task, there is no doubt about it. However, there are certainly some things you can do to make the process easier. We've rounded up the top six things to do before selling your house:
1. Start decluttering.
We recently shared our favorite organization tips
. The sooner you start decluttering, the better. This step is incredibly important for three reasons: your house will show better to potential buyers, it will get you in the right mindset and, simply, you'll be more prepared to move out when the time comes.
2. Find a real estate agent that specializes in your area. Potential buyers come with a lot of questions, and rightfully so. Even if the buyer is working with an agent, it's up to the listing agent to know all the details. Your real estate agent should be knowledgeable on local schools, any HOA details, neighborhood amenities, etc.
3. Create curb appeal. First impressions matter. If needed, freshen up your landscaping, repaint your front door or plant some colorful flowers. The goal is to make your potential buyers feel welcome from the moment they get out of their car. If you're not sure, ask your real estate agent!
4. Do a deep clean. You want to carry that welcoming feeling all through the house. We like to say, "Make it sparkle!" This goes beyond your typical weekly cleaning to include things like pressure washing patio pavers, cleaning the grout, window treatments, and so on.
5. Fix the little things. Maybe a drawer pull is loose, or a closet door doesn't close properly. While these things are minor and probably won't break a deal, it is better to address them in the beginning to avoid any unnecessary issues later.
6. Let there be light. You'll want to be sure to check all lightbulbs to ensure they are working properly and that they all match. This step will not only help when showing your house, but also will make a big impact on photography.
In addition to the above, Compass has exclusive tools available to our sellers:
- Compass Concierge can help you sell your home faster and for more money. This program covers the up-front cost of things like staging, painting, flooring, and more. Learn more here.
- Private Exclusives allows you to maintain your privacy while still getting exposure to top Compass agents around the nation. This is especially a great tool in today's market. Learn more here.
If you're thinking about selling your house, contact us
to start the conversation! If you're looking to buy a home, check out this
blog post to get you started.